Monday, May 16, 2011

Chapter 1

Make Me Believe

But if you can look in my eyes
And tell me we'll be alright
If you promise never to leave,
You just might make me believe…

Ch. 1

“This place is beautiful, Brad,” I said to my older cousin as he showed me the apartment he picked out for me to live in for the semester.  “Are you sure I can’t help chip in for rent or even just live at your house?  This place can’t be a cheap penny,” I remarked as I ran my hand along the wrought iron spiral staircase that led up to the loft and what would be my bedroom.  It was a ritzy apartment complex and the size of the apartment was about the size of a town-home with an open floor plan and sky lights allowing a ton of Texas sunlight to brighten the rooms.  It was definitely a change from the snowy landscape I left behind in Denver.
I just finished the last fall semester of my under-grad career and it was now time to start getting my feet wet in the real world.  When I finish, my bachelor diploma will announce that I have my degree in communications.  I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to get involved in but my heart definitely was leading me towards the entertainment/sports sector.  I was involved a lot with videography and music.  Often I could be found behind the DJ equipment at frat and sorority parties around campus.
When I was looking around for an internship, my Aunt Kathy told me to contact my cousin Brad about possibly getting an internship with the communications department for the Dallas Stars.  As soon as I read her e-mail I called my favorite cousin to drop the idea on him.
“Hanna!” Brad bellowed into the phone.  “I figured I’d be hearing from my favorite cousin soon,” he quipped into the phone.
“Kathy already shot the idea past you?” I asked, smiling about the fact my aunt always spoiled me.
“That she did and I already talked to the front office staff and Jimmy, our communications director and he’s totally on board.  The only thing that bothers me was the drool that pooled on his desk when I showed him your pictures on Facebook…” he laughed.
I could feel myself blushing as I giggled.  “Shut up,” I half whined.  “So is there any paper work I need to fill out or do you have a number for this Jimmy guy?  My professor will have to be in contact with him and such to get the details in order.”
“Yup, I’ll text you his info and I’ll start looking for a place to put you up in.”
“Oh, you don’t need to look for me, I can do that myself.  Unless you want to give me a few numbers of cheap places…” I began.
“No, I will take care of your lodging.  Anything to help you out, I’m the one that makes the money right now.  When I retire you can just send some of the cash you make to the nursing home so they wipe my ass and turn me often or maybe hire me a cute nurse.”
I couldn’t help but snort at this and laugh loudly, causing the people around me in the campus courtyard to look at me curiously as they passed by.  “I could always just room at your place; your mom said you probably have an extra room.”
“I would love to have you stay with me, but I don’t want you to be uncomfortable at the bachelor pad.  My teammate, James, stays with me and I must admit that we aren’t always proper to put it nicely.”
“I have two older brothers you know…” I said with a smile.
“Yeah, exactly why you deserve a place of your own after putting up with those two goof-balls for how many years,” he pointed out.
I sighed, “Okay, well just let me know what you come up with.”
“Sounds good, I’ll be in touch and if you have any questions shoot me a text or call me.”
It was now January and here I was in the Big-D, about to start in on the adventure of a lifetime.  Already I met a ton of interesting people at the airport.  Texans were definitely a different breed and very proud of their state.  I sat next to a rodeo guy on the airplane who couldn’t stop talking about how pretty the land was and how much he hated leaving it for too long.  He was really nice and only a few years older than me.  By the end of the flight we exchanged numbers as he told me to give him a call to go out and get a drink together some night.  He also promised me a front row seat at his next area rodeo.  His ass did look good in the jeans, even if I thought the plaid, long sleeve shirt and leather trench coat might be a little too much.
“So, I hope you didn’t bring your snowboard along with you,” Brad said as he carried some of my bags upstairs to my bedroom.  “We don’t get much snow here,” he joked.
“Shit, I guess I’ll have to ship it back home,” I pouted as serious as possible, but unable to hold back a smile when he looked back at me with a surprised face.
“Glad to see you still have the Richards’ family sense of humor.  You are going to need it working with the team.”
“Yeah, Jimmy seems like a real hoot,” I giggled thinking about to some of the phone conversations we already had as we were throwing around ideas for team segments that we might post on Stars TV or the jumbotron for intermission spots.  He was trying to talk me into taking the camera into the showers, asking the guys what their favorite bathtub toy was as a kid.  Of course I said that I didn’t think the answers would come back G-rated.
I hope you don’t mind that I went out and rented you furniture without your input.  If there is something you don’t like with the décor, let me know and they can come out and change it.
I looked around with a smirk and said, “I don’t think the 52 inch flat screen will be big enough to play my Wii on…”
This remark of course earned me a tickling poke in the side as he grumbled happily, “Typical woman, always complaining about size.”
After we got my things unpacked it was time for dinner.
“We are headed to one of the best steak houses in town.  If you want to fit in here, your first meal has to be a big, juicy steak,” Brad announced as I climbed up into his lifted pick-up truck.
“Sounds like a great idea,” I said as my mouth began to water.
“I hope you don’t mind but a couple of the guys from the team are also meeting us, figured it would be a little less intimidating if you met some of them before you start tomorrow.
“I agree,” I said with a reassuring smile as I buckled my seatbelt and gawked at the big city of Dallas as we drove down the main drag, with Brad pointing out all the attractions along the way.  We arrived at the Capital Grille and I was immediately introduced to some of Brad’s teammates who were milling around in the parking lot.
They were all tall, with imposing statures.  This was not a complete surprise to me because I had several friends that played for the University of Colorado and of course I had played hockey growing up.  Even so, they all impressed me with their sense of style and I had to remind myself not to gawk at the ones who had on the tight, clinging shirts that showed off their game-form bodies.
“Damn, Richie, you didn’t tell us your cousin was beautiful.  I almost thought you finally broke down and asked out one of the ice crew girls.” One of the guys blurted out as he walked over towards me, jutting out his hand.  He had an American accent with thick, dark hair that was on the longer side.  He looked familiar and I instantly knew why when Brad chirped back, “Hands off Burish, she’s not here to get an education on your smooth talking ways.”
The rest of the guys laughed, but Adam, who I now remembered from the Stanley Cup winning Blackhawks, took my hand and kissed it softly as he winked playfully at me.
“So obviously, this is Adam Burish, one of our new resident playboys and pain in the asses,” Brad chuckled.  “And this is Loui Eriksson,” he said as he nodded to his Swedish line mate that had the perfect chiseled face.  I frowned in my head when I noted he had a wedding ring on.  What is it with hot Swedes?! 
“Our resident enforcer, Steve Ott,” he motioned to the blondish haired brute that had a soft smile and touch as he shook my hand.
“Our youngin’, Jamie Benn,” Brad motioned to the kid that looked to be about my age with a sweet smile.
“And the shy one hiding behind everyone is my other line mate and roomie, James, or better known to us as Nealer.”  He looked adorable with his dark, tousled hair and semi-childish face.  He gave me a close lip smile and just nodded, obviously uncomfortable with shaking my hand.
“Let’s get this new cowgirl a steak,” Burish said as he swiftly looped his arm through mine, leading me towards the entrance of the grille as I could have sworn I heard my cousin make a comment about me being in complete trouble.
I could barely eat my delicious steak due to the fact that I couldn’t stop laughing the whole time.  The guys made it an obvious point to make me feel welcomed and comfortable around them.  I instantly began asking them what they thought fans might want to see or know so that I could bring ideas to the table tomorrow when I began my internship.
“I’m sure the lovely women in Dallas would love a 60second spot of the team flexing their biceps in the locker room…” Burish piped up just as I took a swig of my beer.  Of course it took all I had not to spit out my beer and ended up choking on it instead.  The table cracked up as Brad had to throw a couple hard blows to my back.
Once I had caught my breath again, I retorted, “Um, I’m looking for something all the fans would enjoy…”
“Oh!” Adam played with big eyes like he was just getting what I was asking for.  “You should have been more specific of course,” he continued.  “In all seriousness though, we did a marriage type game back in Chicago and it came out pretty cool.  Of course I played the host, so that is what made the show…”
“I’m sure it did,” I said as I rolled my eyes and shook my head.  This guy really likes to be the center of attention.  “But I really do like that idea,” I noted.  I’d like to come up with some spots that show the personality of the team.  I understand that hockey is probably a hard thing to sell here in Dallas, but I think with putting emphasis on more things that show the personality of the team to the public, we might be able to sell a couple more tickets.  It seemed to help Chicago a lot…”
“Seems like you’ve been doing your research Miss Richards,” Steve complimented me.  “You should do very well here, Jimmy always likes new ideas and especially from pretty ladies.”
Of course this caused me to blush, but I said, “Thank you,” and proceeded to take another bite of my steak.
The rest of the dinner was hockey talk, especially considering they were in the middle of their season and fighting to stay close to a playoff spot.  I couldn’t help but notice that Brad’s roommate, “Nealer”, seemed very quiet when the attention was focused on me, but when they began talking shop he became quiet animated.  He even cracked a smile that made me stop chewing my food and just stare.  His smile washed away as soon as he caught me looking at him and once again he went back to being quiet until he would let the conversation pull him back in.  For some reason I was intrigued by him and I couldn’t help but thinking I wanted to learn more about him. 
Maybe it was his soft, grey eyes that captured me.  Maybe it was the way his black, knit shirt clung to his slim, yet muscular frame.  Maybe it was just the fact that he seemed to be the only one of the single guys, at the table that didn’t flirt with me.  Believe me when I say that I do not like being the center of attention even though it was flattering, but I am most comfortable being in the background.  I have become accustom to putting on an act of being outgoing around strangers due to my career choice, but I was definitely one who was more contented being with a couple friends or even home by myself, wrapped up in a blanket with my nose in a book or listening to music.  Either way I felt a little nervous when I caught him looking at me at one point.  The butterflies in my stomach fluttered up into my chest, causing me to pipe up and ask for another beer when the waitress came around.


I had seen pictures of her, but they were pictures from years past when Brad and his cousins were younger.  The newest picture he did have of her was one she had sent in a Christmas card where she was snowboarding in Colorado.  Of course she looked taller in the newer picture compared to the ones of them at family picnics and camping, but I couldn’t see much else because she was wearing full snow gear and goggles with a beaming smile as she posed in front of the beautiful mountain backdrop.
I would have never known her if she hadn’t been walking next to Brad when they arrived at the grille.  She had beautiful auburn hair that was stick straight and thick, lying a little past her shoulders.  Her brown eyes sparkled when she smiled at everyone and I couldn’t help but notice the little dimple she had on her left cheek.  She had long, lean legs that were wrapped up in dark denim jeans and form fitting, plain, dark olive green shirt that showed a hint of cleavage.  She wore a simple silver teardrop necklace that hung between her full breasts and already fit the part of a Texan in brown suede cowboy boots.  Her smile was sweet and her voice had a ring to it that made me want to pay attention.
She carried herself well, despite the single guys basically throwing themselves at her, especially Burish.  I knew he would be all over her like a fly on honey, just like he was with every other person that had tits and long legs.  I could tell she was a little uncomfortable with the attention, but she put on a convincing mask that even I wasn’t too sure was a mask.
Don’t even think about getting to know her well.  She’s Richie’s cousin and I wouldn’t dare to get involved with any of his family.  He’s too good of a friend and I’m too fucked up when it comes to relationships to think that getting involved with her would be any different from the rest.
She caught me staring at her once, but it was only that one time because I went back to paying attention to Brad, who was sitting across from me and my food.  However, I felt her eyes on me a couple times after that, making me fidget in my seat.
“You have ants in your pants or something?” Loui whispered quietly to me at one point.
“Sorry, my dry skin is acting up.”
“That just sounded gay,” he chuckled under his breath.  “I’ve wondered that about you…”
“Shut the fuck up,” I grumbled as I took a sip of my beer.
“She’s a beauty, ain’t she?” he continued to poke.
“Who?”
“Don’t even pretend you haven’t been checking her out.  I’ve seen her looking over here in your direction.  Looks like she likes the silent, dark ones…”
I just looked over and glared at him, “Not even going there, man,” I said through my teeth a little louder than I wanted to.
“Not going where, Nealer?” Brad asked as he raised an eyebrow, holding his beer glass up to his lips.
“Not going out afterward dinner,” Loui covered for me.
“Oh, yeah, early practice in the morning…” Brad said, oblivious to the real conversation we had been having.  However, when I glanced over to Hanna, she had a curious look on her face, obviously picking up on Loui’ s forced speech but she just glanced at me with soft eyes and went back to paying attention to Burish who was already attempting to ask her out on a date.
“If you want, after the game tomorrow, I’d be more than happy to show you around town,” Adam said to her as he leaned back in his chair and lazily laid his arm on the back of her chair.
“Haven’t you only been here for a couple months?” she joked back.  “I’m afraid you’d get me lost and then try to take advantage of me…”
The whole table erupted in laughter, including me as we watched Burish become speechless and basically cringe as his cover had totally been blown by the girl that obviously was not falling for his playboy ways as easily as Adam would have wanted her to.  In usual Burish fashion he recovered quickly and said, “If I wanted to take advantage of you, I would have just asked you to come to my place and skip the whole town thing.”
“Oh, so you are trying not to be too forward and I should expect that question on our second date?” she said with a coy smile, completely proving to be up to the task when it came to dealing with these guys.
“Most definitely,” Adam said, raising his glass in a truce, knowing he met his match.

5 comments:

  1. "Typical woman, always complaining about size.” I loved this :)
    Great start.. I don't know much about James Neal and I know even less abouy the Dallas Stars.. I've heard of some players but none too familiar.. Again this sounds like a pretty good story.. Well it's only been one chapter but Im sure ill fall in love with it.. Just like your other stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA. Thank you!! You are always so supportive and I appreciate it! Like you I only knew a few of the Dallas players, but with my "research" I found a bunch of guys with some pretty cool personalities... which always helps make the story!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great start. Love how ell written it is. You certainly know how to reel us in. I love that she's calling Burish out! Can't wait for this one I'm already hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only just found this story so it's going to take me a while to catch up. I've been impressed with what I've seen of James Neal, looking forward to the rest of this story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey!! Welcome aboard!! Take your time and enjoy! I look forward to hearing from you!! :o)

    ReplyDelete